Monday, February 24, 2014

Basket or Bucket?

2 Timothy 2: 20-21* tells us about the various types and uses of vessels... So from time to time, I like to think about myself - both as a Christian, Wife, Mother, Sister  and as Mrs Pastor - and ask: 
"What kind of vessel am I when people deposit things with me?" 

I narrowed the options to 2 everyday and functional vessels that are used to store things and can be carried from place to place with ease - basket and bucket. In fact, I actually ask myself the same question when I want to share something with others besides my husband. 

I've gone through positive and not so positive - but "productive" - experiences that I've had to share with others for very different reasons - either to solicit their prayers or thanksgiving for answered prayers or even just for their and or my encouragement.

Each time I'm in one of those heart-to-heart moments, I can't help but wonder: "Am I pouring my heart into a basket or bucket person?" I'm sure you can guess the difference - yes, one disperses it's contents - quickly and freely - especially if it's liquid and the other keeps its contents intact.

Nothing is more disheartening than to hear a bit about yourself everywhere the person you thought you were confiding in has been. I'm sure that members of our churches also feel the same way - which is why this "Are you a Basket or Bucket" question that comes to mind when I hear other Mrs Pastors say that people in their church don't confide in them.

I agree that there may be other reasons why people don't confide in you however, dealing with this "Basket or Bucket" question will help you and your ministry for sure. Remember that a basket with a lid is still a basket.

We also need to know if and when to switch from being a bucket to a basket - as there are times when we need to "vent." Sharing with others is one way we can stay stable, not stressed, from bottling (or it is bucketing) so much.

Just remember that if you wouldn't want to vent or share with a "basket-person" neither will others if you're a "basket-person." May God make us worthy vessels for His use. AMEN!

References:
* 2 Timothy 2:20-21 -  In a wealthy home some utensils are made of gold and silver, and some are made of wood and clay. The expensive utensils are used for special occasions, and the cheap ones are for everyday use. If you keep yourself pure, you will be a special utensil for honorable use. Your life will be clean, and you will be ready for the Master to use you for every good work. (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment