Monday, December 17, 2012

Give..and let go...

Next weekend is Christmas weekend...and the only reason why we have such a day/weekend to celebrate because God gave...

I know that in some cases, Pastor and Mrs. Pastor expect others to show their appreciation by giving them gifts. Sadly, some see it as a "right." Indeed the Bible tells us that: "A worker deserves his pay"* however, we also know that: ‘You will have a greater blessing when you give than when you receive.’**

So, I'd encourage that you change the expectation this year - give gifts to others. Now it doesn't need to be an expensive gift - it needs to be one that clearly says:
"Someone thought about me"...they don't even need to know who gave them the gift. As much as possible, "your giving should be done in private. Your Father can see what is done in private, and he will reward you."***

Last year, we had an interesting gift exchange in church. We all picked names - adults and children included - to buy a gift for the person. The sender's name was to be in the gift not on the wrapper. It was really heart-warming to see people express their delight and appreciation to each other.

We've made giving - not just at Christmastime - a family habit. I used to get "upset" with people who didn't say "Thank you" until I realized that it was God's setup to see what's really in my heart. So now I just give...and let go. Much as it's a good habit to be grateful and say so, I'm just grateful that the scriptures are fulfilled in & through my life. Genesis 12:2 says: And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you [with abundant increase of favors] and make your name famous and distinguished, and you will be a blessing [dispensing good to others]. (Amplified) As we remain a source of blessing - by giving - God will have no choice but to keep blessing us.

Sources:
*1 Tim 5:18 (The Message)
**Acts 20:35b (Easy-to-Read Version)
***Matt 6:4 (Easy-to-Read Version)

No comments:

Post a Comment