Monday, June 20, 2011

Travel light

Some time ago I was thinking about how our experiences shape us and, to a large extent, determine how we respond to people, events and/or situations around us - I know mine have and continue to influence me. With 10 days to the end of the first half of the year this seems like a good time to discuss this. The more I thought about it, the more it became apparent that we must all learn to "travel and live light." This is especially key for each and every Mrs. Pastor because we "travel" from life to life in our interactions with others.

Our experiences and things we have been exposed to all form part of what I'd call the "baggage" we carry around with us - into marriage, family, ministry, personal and even work relationships. This baggage makes me think of 2 distinct but related examples:


First, it's like a tortoise and its shell. We intentionally and unintentionally carry our experiences and their impact on us around and sometimes withdraw into that "baggage shell" when it feels like a safe (or the closest) hiding place.

Yes - I've done that on more than one occasion; there have been times when I just "switch off" and withdraw into my shell because of a previous unpleasant experience in similar (not the same) situations. Sound familiar?

This can also be likened to packing for a trip. Indeed, life is a trip - each day we get closer to our destination. One key question when I pack for any trip is: "What do I need for my trip?" When my bag looks stuffed and/or I'm still struggling to put more stuff into it, I then ask: "What don't I need?" in response, I start "lightening my load." Similarly, in our daily or one-off dealings with others, we need to ask ourselves if we need all the "baggage" we have acquired.

The fact is that it is very easy to carry baggage around all in a bid to have our comfort zone within reach - much like how we stuff our purses* - but that is not the best way to live.

In being adequately equipped (&/or packed) for the different destinations and dimensions of ministry, we also need to learn to "travel light." That will help us - so we do not pass up or just completely miss out on opportunities of new experiences or learning new things or new ways of dealing with people, events or situations.

Imagine a vacation where you are ready for all situations - how boring!

Realistically speaking, it's too much unnecessary stress - for yourself and others -when you have too much baggage. Though it may take you out of your comfort zone, travelling light will give you room to be "comfortable" in every zone.

Purpose to "travel light"...




*For more about purses, check out:
http://sapphire-and-beryl.blogspot.com/2010/10/whats-your-purse-onality.html
http://sapphire-and-beryl.blogspot.com/2010/10/whats-your-purse-onality-2.html
http://sapphire-and-beryl.blogspot.com/2010/10/colour-of-your-purse-onality.html
http://sapphire-and-beryl.blogspot.com/2010/10/another-c-of-purse-onality.html
http://sapphire-and-beryl.blogspot.com/2010/10/some-more-about-purse-onality.html

No comments:

Post a Comment